“4th of February is world
cancer day and I would be going on a walk for cancer prevention that would
take place at Muri Okunola Park, Victoria Island, Lagos... join us naa” she said to me. This
was about 10PM, a day before the scheduled event.
Who gives you an impromptu notification
or invite like this and expect you to show up. Most times, such invites are
just to fulfill all righteousness – "let it not be like I did not tell him". I
slept over the information and by morning around 5:00AM when I woke up, I made
up my mind to attend. So I got up and prepared. Some friends accused me for not
informing them about the event, I am sure by the time they read this, they will
At about 7AM, I was already at the venue
at VI all the way from Ikeja, even before the friend that invited me. In fact,
when she saw me, she was like: "haaa...! did you fly?"
I convinced myself to go for 3 reasons.
1. We (Nigerians) are most times more ignorant than we think. A thing as serious as cancer will always sound like a story to a lot of people until they fall victim or know someone close who has it. If my actions in small ways like this, can help create awareness on a very serious health issue as Cancer, why not? Too many have died (and are dying) for no reason.
Walk for cancer prevention
2. It’s been a while I did good exercise,
and I knew that the walk will give me the chance to do so. So I seized the opportunity and it felt great, I must confess.
Aerobics after the walk
3. Since the Walk for Cancer Prevention is
through the streets of VI, I would have nice views and many beautiful things to
shot and images to create… so I made sure I went with my Nikon Camera. I hardly
get such opportunity.
A Little about Cancer
According to cancercenter.com; Cancer is
the uncontrolled growth of abnormal cells in the body. Cancer develops when the
body’s normal control mechanism stops working. Old cells do not die and cells
grow out of control, forming new, abnormal cells. These extra cells may form a
mass of tissue, called a tumor. Some cancers, such as leukaemia does not form
There are different types of cancers and
they usually are names according to the part of the body they affect. Most
common is breast cancer in women and prostate cancer in men, amongst others.
Important to Note
- Cancer is real and no one is actually immune
- About 1/3 of cancer that occurs can be
- Bad lifestyles like smoking and drinking,
increases ones chances of having cancer
- Endeavour to eat healthy; this helps to
reduce ones chances of having cancer
- Exercise (ie. Reasonable physical
activities) helps, being overweight doesn’t.
- As one ages, the chances to have cancer
- With early detection of cancer, it can
be dealt with
- Go for regular health check-up.
I checked my BMI, Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar level after the walk
It is said that doctors do not usually
know what causes a person’s cancer. Is it not funny, with all these
predisposing factors? But that should not bother us. Let’s keep leaving a
healthy life and continue with healthy lifestyles. God is our refuge.
Let’s celebrate the victory of those who
have fought cancer and won.
Fight with those who are fighting at the
moment, with our prays and support in cash or kind.
Volunteers helping to raise funds for a woman with breast cancer
For those who do not have it, let’s
continue the awareness.
Awareness all the way
NB. The walk for cancer awareness was organised by Cancer Aware Nigeria, Oceanic Health etc. I salute their effort.